Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale: Our beer is more pumpkin-y than yours!

image_1

Emptied cans of pumpkin. A brewer’s cairn!

image_2

The mash in the lauter tun.

Our brewers are already hard at work bringing 2013 Imperial Pumpkin Ale  to life! Imperial Pumpkin Ale is 8% ABV and has been said to taste like a slice of the best pumpkin pie you’ve ever had. So what is it that actually makes it more pumpkin-y? For starters, we use almost 5 pounds of pumpkin and 2-1/2 ounces of cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and clove spices per keg! That means for a 40 barrel batch (80 ½ kegs) we use a total of 397 pounds of canned pumpkin and 13 pounds of spices! While that bucket of spices certainly provides some of the pumpkin pie flavor, the huge amount of pumpkin flesh really rounds out the beer and gives it that gorgeous color! The tremendous volume of these ingredients added to Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale truly makes it a unique beer in the ever-expanding sea of otherwise limp and pedestrian pumpkin ales out there.

Weyerbacher will release Imperial Pumpkin Ale at the Visitors Center on Friday, July 12th at 4:30pm.  Look for Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale to hit the shelves in your area around August 1st!

image_3

One of many buckets of pumpkin, (gloved) handprint for scale!

image_5

Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cardimum and Clove being added to the kettle.

image

The boil.

Are you a foodie?  Check out these two ridiculous recipes!

Imperial Pumpkin Ale Lasagna     Imperial Pumpkin Ale Panna Cotta recipe

posted by Bill Bragg in News and have Comments (25)

25 Responses to “Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale: Our beer is more pumpkin-y than yours!”

Thanks Bill! Enjoyed the pictures alot, especially the Empty Can Pile and Hand Print. Just had a 2012 Pumpkin last night. only have 3 left. Time for replenishment!

2. avatar Kelly Fallon says:

Imperial Pumpkin Ale is the best beer that I have ever had! It seriously is like an angel dancing on your tongue in heaven! Ha and therefore, I will be traveling far to the brewery to have some of this sometime in the next few weeks and I am beyond excited. Cheers to making one kick ass beer! :)

Kelly,what an awesome bit of feedback! Thanks so much! You keep drinkin’ it and we’ll keep makin’ it!

3. avatar El Cartero says:

CANS of pumpkin? I’ll try it, but I’m probably going to stick with Rogue…they grow their own pumpkins!

Hey, El Cartero! Yeah, cans are the way to go when you have no access to fresh pumpkins at this time of year. We don’t have our own farm, we’re WAY smaller than Rogue and our Pumpkins don’t come available in the market in the quantities we need them in June – August. Based upon the packaging of the Rogue bottle, it looks like it is a pretty limited release whereas our is overall our #3 selling beer annually. This is the same pumpkin used to make pumpkin pies at any great restaurant and (I gather) any great brewery as it would take us a trainload of fresh pumpkins to yield the amount we need. I don’t exactly know how much pumpkin is used per barrel for Rogue or any other pumpkin brewer for that matter but we are known to use far, far more pumpkin than of most other brewers.

4. avatar riley says:

that looks gross. why don’t you use fresh pumpkins? does “pumpkin-y” mean something that resembles pumpkins?

step it up boys

Riley, I said “Pumpkin-y” meaning that it has more pumpkin character than many of the other pumpkin beers out there. Many of them are spice-intensive but their color, body and taste don’t give much pumpkin flavor. Cinnamon and Nutmeg / Allspice flavors aren’t what actual pumpkin tastes like. They are ingredients in pumpkin pie, and important ones at that, but pumpkin beers with lots of spice and not this much pumpkin taste very different. Our pumpkin beer has an orange hue to it because of the utterly inordinate amount of pumpkin we use per batch. As noted in the article, it’s nearly 400 lbs per 40 barrel / 80 keg batch. You should ask some of your favorite brewery what they use and how much! Does pumpkin pie look gross to you? :^) Grab a 4 pack or a pint as soon as you can and check it out – hopefully you’ll see what I mean!

I had a Pumpkin Fest in September of 2011. One of the festivities of the party was a “Pumpkin Beer Tasting Contest.” Everyone attending the Party brought what they felt was the “BEST PUMPKIN BREW.” We had a total of 24 different Brews (most of the Brewerer’s names I have forgotten but there were some very popular one’s among the entries) 45 people took part in the Beer Tasting. Not only did Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale take 1st by a landslide with 25 1st Place Votes, But many of the people that walked (or crawled) away from the party have become Weyerbacher Fans for life. CHEERS BOYS!!!!!

6. avatar Dave Walker Sr says:

Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale is EVERY bit as good as any of the pumpkin ales on the market!! I had the Rogue last year and the Weyerbacher blew it out of the water! I bought 4 bottles of fhe Rogue and gave the other 3 away!! The amount of pumpkin used in the Weyerbacher is insane and gives the brew exactly what is should, pumpkin flavor and not the pumpkin pie spicey flavor!! CHEERS TO YOU WEYERBACHER AND KEEP ON PUMPIN OUT THE PUMPKIN!!

7. avatar Steven says:

Such a shame to not be able to get this in TX. Bill can you drop ship me some?

Sorry, brotha! I sure can’t! You can, however, make arrangements with a friend in our distribution area. A certain shipper, whose name sorta rhymes with T-Rex, doesn’t ask what’s in the box. Using USPS is illegal. Mind the laws in your locale as well. Check out the beer trading that is going on at beeradvocate.com – I am certain there will be lots of advice, support and perhaps some good contacts for what you’re ISO. Good luck!

8. avatar Mike Miller says:

Can you tell us who has received delivery of your Imperial Pumpkin, and might be serving it either on tap or bottles in The Lehigh Valley?
    We have waited a whole year & are thirsty for this magnificent beer today! It is truly the Best!

9. avatar Nick says:

When will the Pumpkin Ale be available in Massachusetts?

10. avatar JD says:

Look forward every Autumn to Imperial Pumkin Ale – best pumpkin beer out there! How can I find out it’s availability in the DC/Northern VA area? And do you typically do one large shipment, or resupply stores a few times throughout the fall? Thanks!

11. avatar Bob says:

Enjoying an Imperial Pumpkin ale as I type! Ahhhh….gotta go enjoy the rest!,,

12. avatar Ed Nowacki says:

Must have it !!!!!!

13. avatar Nathaniel says:

For several years I have been on a quest to find a pumpkin beer that I truly enjoyed. Tonight my sis and I bought a 4 pack of this stuff and I’m happy to say I’ve found it. This is THE best pumpkin beer out there. I drank some red wine after drinking the beer and I Still have the glorious after taste of the spices in the beer. Wow.

14. avatar Castrucci says:

Still waiting in Pittsburgh..can’t wait for it to come in..still have a few from last year..need to stock up again…

15. avatar Jim Tokarz says:

Can I get this anywhere in the Midwest? I live in Chicago.