Winter Ale

At Weyerbacher we’ve created a Winter Ale that is a must for any malty beer lover. Winner of a Silver Medal in the 1998 World Beer Championships, Weyerbacher Winter Ale is brewed with deep-roasted chocolate malt. The taste predominates with a warm, roasty flavor, balanced out with a slightly dry finish. It’s smooth but not cloying, with a warming belt of alcohol (5.6% ABV).

Although winter ales predate history, they are believed to have their origin in the pagan celebrations of winter solstice. Later, when monasteries produced the local brew, winter ales were made each year to commemorate the birth of Christ. Back then, winter ales were brewed full-bodied as a source of nutrition for the upcoming winter months. Today, winter ales are typified by their seasonality, their rich, malty flavors and by their deep, dark coloration.

Generally available November through February, Weyerbacher Winter Ale is the perfect libation for a winter meal, with good friends, or beside a warm fire fending off a cold winter night.

Click here for a recipe featuring this beer and BACON!

posted by shlampe in Seasonal and have Comments (30)

30 Responses to “Winter Ale”

1. avatar Tim Riddle says:

Is the Winter Ale available ? Work in Berwyn and live in Chester Springs — any idea which stores will carry ?

It is out. Your best bet would be to call our philly distributor and find out which accounts have received it. I have given you the information below. Remember that you can always come to the brewery during tours (SAT 12-3pm) and pick some op.

Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery & Philadelphia Counties
      Origlio Beverage
      3000 Meeting House Road
      Philadelphia, PA 18154
      215-698-9500

CW

• avatar Jeff says:

I work in Malvern and just picked up a six pack of the Winter Ale at the new Wegman’s by Rt 202. I’m enjoying one right now, and it’s fantastic!

2. avatar Hazel Morgan says:

It is available on tap at Mike’s York Street Bar and Grill in Warminster, Bucks County

3. avatar Nate says:

They have it at Whole Foods Market in Milford, CT as of December 4th!

4. avatar Pete VReugster says:

Love the winter ale, ssuper malty, n just a perfect beer for the winter season.

5. avatar Dani says:

Is the Winter Ale available in Massachusetts?

Dani,
      Yes! It just hasn’t shipped (or yet been brewed for) there yet. You’re a tad early – have an imperial Pumpkin, AutumnFest or Harvest Ale!
      Cheers!
      Bill

6. avatar Stacy says:

Yum! I thoroughly enjoyed a winter ale last night, outside on a beautiful MN evening. We definately don’t have to wait for the snow to fly to enjoy this one.

7. avatar Kenny says:

Had your Winter Ale for the frist last night at P J Whelihans in Hadon Twp NJ. Very good.

Cheers, Kenny!

• avatar Natalie says:

Thanks for the compliments… There are many bars in Haddon Township that carry our brews. Check out The Pour House (they still have Bourbon Barrel aged Imperial Pumpkin on tap), The Irish Mile, Cork, The Tap House, and of course PJ’s!

I had a couple of Winter Ale’s tonight. I think I taste Coffee. Is that possible? Or is what I’m tasting the Roasted Chocolate that the profile mentions? Either way great Brew!

9. avatar Danielle says:

A geat winter ale to drink after you’ve been outside on a winters days chopping wood…first winter beer I started with….

Love your beers, but this is my least favorite. Could you guys make ABV around 8%. It just makes sense for a winter warmer to be stronger than 5.6%, which is summer beer strength. Also, there’s no body, not much flavor. Thanks.

Hi Alex! Our Winter Ale, like our Blanche and AutumnFest, is intended to be a lower alcohol and sessionable beer. The market is flooded with Octoberfests, Pumpkin Ales, Winter Warmers, etc… and we primarily make higher ABV, fuller and bolder beers all year long in seasonal and year-round forms, there are a few that we keep pretty tame so we, too, can have more than one or two. AutumnFest is our Ale nod to a Märzen-style Lager, Winter Ale is a simple and delicate Brown Ale and Blanche is a flavorful coriander and dried Curacao orange peels and actually clocks in as our LOWEST alcohol beer at 4.6% Could we do a big, bold and spicy warmer? You bet! We just don’t.

I had my last 2011 Winter Ale on Monday Night knowing that I will be able to restock my supply very soon. This is a Brew I would never want to live without. As Bill said, Weyerbacher has so many “BIG” Beers that it is a must to have a few with lower ABV just in case you really want 1 more but don’t want to fall out of your chair while having it. This Ale has Wonderful notes of Roasted Chocolate and in my opinion the Color and Clarity are perfect for a Winter Brew. I have often found myself enjoying this one at the end of my night when I have already consumed a couple of the Bigger ABV Brews. However, it absolutely stands on it’s own as well. You can be sure that you will be seeing me at the Visitors Center next Month. CHEERS!!!!!

12. avatar Jerame says:

Having my first ever winter ale. Ridiculously drinkable. I’ve never been so excited for winter in Western Pennsylvania before! Thank you!!

13. avatar Gus says:

I tried this beer last week and really enjoyed it, so I started checking out the site. I noticed that you’ve posted the grain bills and spices in some of the other beers. Would you be willing to post the breakdown for this beer. I’d love to try my hand at making something similar.

14. Winter Ale just tapped at Barnaby’s of America in West Chester! Good Stuff!

15. avatar Phil says:

Weyerbacher Winter Ale is the best that I have ever had. Excellent body and taste

16. avatar Karen says:

Where can I find the Winter’s Ale on Long Island, NY?

17. avatar Adam says:

Visiting Easton PA from Kansas. Tried Winter Ale at Stemie’s 1818 Tavern and LOVED it! Excellent beer!

18. avatar Ken says:

On tap now at the Stagehouse Tavern in Somerset NJ. If you like a darker malty brew you do not want to miss. This is a good beer, and sessionable too. Try it!