Sour Black

Born in the darkness that followed Rapture…

Sour Black,  ~5% ABV, is a Black Ale aged in Wine Barrels.  These barrels are the same used Pinot Noir barrels which produced Rapture.  Brettanomyces lambicus was added to the barrels adding a nice acidity.  It’s fruity and tart with just enough roasted character; a truly delightful dark ale.

Sour Black Ale is packaged in a 750ml bottle finished with a cork and cage.  This beer is available exclusively at the brewery and will not be distributed in any way.

Sour Black was released Friday, June 29th at 4:30 pm and when it’s gone, it’s gone…  forever.  Read about the event here.  Panic not, we have 350 cases of it and you no longer have to buy full cases at the brewery!  You can buy as much or as little as you want.

Cheers!

posted by Bill Bragg in Beers,Special Release and have Comments (18)

18 Responses to “Sour Black”

1. avatar Rich Isaacs says:

Was the base Black Ale ever released?

2. avatar Alan says:

I think what Rich is asking is… What is the black ale that was made to produce Sour Black? Was it ever released before put into Rapture barrels?

Oooooooooh. Sorry! No, Sour Black was brewed to be a barrel-aged (NOT bourbon-y) sour beer. Never released or brewed by us in any other way.

3. [...] when they released Black Sour, I knew in my heart Weyerbacher would do right by me [...]

Just scored this, Rapture, and Idiot’s Drool in a trade. Cannot wait to get into each of them.

I’m game for it, but will likely spread them out to fully enjoy. Don’t want my tasting notes slurred too badly.

Finally drinking this. Wow. Amazing. I really need to move closer to the brewery to have better access to bottles.

7. avatar Greg says:

Ideas on the ageability of sour black?

Hey Greg! It all boils down to personal preference. I (personally) love it now and suspect it will do fine for years and years. Like any aged beer, it’s always about your personal preference and palate. Some of the guys here are über sensitive to oxidation and therefore like all their beers young. It’s your call!

8. avatar Craig G says:

I have 1 left in my fridge. It drives me nuts. i pick it up, look at it, wanting to drink it, but knowing it will be gone if i do.

9. avatar Nicole says:

Your Sour Black ale is by far my favorite beer that I have had of yours. I absolutely LOVE IT!
    Do you still have any cases left?

Hi Nicole! Glad to hear that! Yes, We still have SB here but the stock is getting a little thin. I wouldn’t wait too long!

10. avatar Jessica says:

I heard you might be releasing this again, is that true? This is one of my all time favorites! I hope it’s true & if so, any idea on a time frame?

Jessica, that is incorrect. However, the barrels used to make Rapture, then Sour Black are full of yet another sour do there will be something coming in that vein! Standby for details!

Thoroughly enjoyed my last Bottle of Sour Black Last Night. Can’t wait for the Barrels which contain the “next installment” of this delectable Family of Sour Black Ales to be emptied!