Slam Dunkel

Slam Dunkel was a small batch release in 2007. We had such an overwhelming response that we had to put it in the seasonal rotation. We also decided we couldn’t live without drinking this beer every year!

This 7% Double Dunkelweizen is unfiltered and made with over 50% wheat malt along with pale, munich, and a touch of chocolate to give it the traditional color and flavor. Bitterness is subdued to allow the Weihenstephen yeast to shine through with those traditional notes of banana and clove.

Available in March in bottles and draft. Recipe by Chris Wilson, Head Brewer.

posted by shlampe in Retired and have Comments (24)

24 Responses to “Slam Dunkel”

1. avatar Paul says:

I would love it if Slam Dunkel were available year-round, or at least twice per year.

But, if only once a year, autumn would be preferable to spring, since it’s more of a cool weather beer.

I like drinking Slam Dunkel on a hot summer night. I get my big Weisse glass out, which can hold the beer and the big foamy head, and sit by the grill. Awesome! The other thing is that this beer is released in March. I’m just going to say that it’s cold in PA in March. CW

2. avatar Paul says:

OK, I’ll settle for March and October :^)

3. avatar Paul says:

Is Slam Dunkel available for 2011? Is there a way to determine the date from the bottle?

Yes, Slam Dunkel has been released this year, but only recently. There should be two dates on the bottle neck. One will be the date of bottling and the second will be the best by date. If there are no dates, that would indicate that it was bottled prior to the time we started dating and furthermore that the beer was well past its best by date. Please keep in mind that the date can be hard to see sometimes so take a careful look before giving up. CW

4. avatar Paul says:

Is this still available? My local store has not been able to get it.

5. avatar Paul says:

Finally got some of this year’s batch. It’s even better than I remember it!!!

6. [...] According to the brewery website, “Slam Dunkel was a small batch release in 2007. We had such an overwhelming response that we [...]

Got a 4pk from out of State since we can’t get it in GA, trying my first and I love it. As always.

I have a question on the bottle dating, when did it begin? I have a Verboten dated from 2005 (brew date), but two Quads which have no dates. So are these older than 2005? Or could the dating have worn off?

Hi Russ! The Verboten bottle is DEFINITELY NOT dated 2005, not by us, anyway. When our dates are present on a bottle, they appear on the neck and are two lines of numbers like this:

050812
      090812

The top date is the bottled-on and the bottom is ‘freshest by’. The above is on a bottle of Verboten.

Also present on this bottle, and WAY harder to see, is a string of numbers at the bottom, maybe 3/4″ up from the base. The numbers on this bottle are:

15/21N/047/12/21:05

This is a string of information regarding the bottle manufacturing process. There is some form of a date as well as lot / mold numbers in there but I am not smart enough to figure it out. :^) Perhaps this is what you saw?

9. I somehow managed to get my hands on a 4 pack at Al’s of Hampden near Mechanicsburg, PA just the other day. I chose this beer because my friends’ are doing a beer tasting at their house and I will be pouring the Slam Dunkel after we try a traditional Dunkel Weizen (Ayinger). I agree with Chris, as this beer can be enjoyed in the summer just as much in the winter. It was my favorite style of beer when I visited Munich. Thanks for making this ‘not so common’ brew! I love it!

10. avatar Dan says:

Just saw that this made the retired list. So 2012 was the last we’ll see this brew? I have one bottle left! I need to save it for a special occasion!

Will anything replace it?

March 2012 was the last year for it and Fireside. I suggest you drink it soon! :^)

• avatar Tim says:

No more Slam Dunkel. No more Fireside, And I also see Harvest is retired. You are retiring all of my favorite beers that you make (add Muse as well). Serious question. Why? And will they be replaced with anything in the seasonal lineup?

Serious answer: unfortunately, beers that don’t sell well don’t stick around very long. With the redesign of each label (an expensive proposition for a brewery our size), each beer’s sales were scrutinized. Pumpkin sales continue to grow and Insanity and Heresy are on-pace for significant growth as well. With the brewery growing at 35%+, it’s hard to allocate tank space and ingredients to beers that don’t move through the supply chain as quickly as they should. If they move slowly, they reach you late and then you don’t have fresh beer. So, in the name of fresh beer, we elected to discontinue these brands to make room for proven sellers which are in ultra-high demand. Hopefully you can appreciate the change now! Speaking of retired beers, you didn’t mention Hops Infusion. Have you tried Last Chance IPA (Hops’ replacement) yet, Tim?

• avatar Tim says:

Bill, while I will miss those beers I completely understand where you are coming from (I hadn’t thought to link the label redesign into this before, makes more sense now). I liked Hops Infusion but honestly there were better IPA’s out there. I have had Last Chance and really like it. Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers, Tim! Thanks for the continued support! :^)

Argh. I love both these beers.

12. avatar Andrew says:

The Slam Dunkel was a really great beer. Too bad it didn’t sell better, I’m sad to see it go. Sine it’s retired -any suggestions/recipes for brewing this at home? I’ve never found a Dunkelweizen this good in PA…