Raspberry Imperial Stout

Enjoyed alone as a winter-warmer or as the perfect finish to any fine meal, our Raspberry Imperial Stout is a wonderfully full-flavored beer with just a “kiss” of raspberry flavor. When we brew this beer we add just a touch of real raspberries during the fermentation process. The result is a modest fruit flavor which enhances— without dominating the rich, malty, stout taste.

Awards
We’re proud to say that Weyerbacher Raspberry Imperial Stout won a Silver Medal at the 1997 World Beer Championships. In 2003 and 2004 this beer was chosen National Grand Champion in its category at the U.S. Beer Tasting Championships.
Also included in: 101 Must Taste Beers, All About Beer, July 2003

“Opaque expresso appearance. Moderately full-bodied. Mild bitterness. Subtly hopped. Rich malt. Pours with a creamy white head. Raspberry-coffee aromas. Rich malty roasted flavors with a sweet center and a clean mildly roasted finish. The fruit flavor works surprisingly well here.”
—All About Beer Magazine Buyer’s Guide, March ’98

Our Raspberry Imperial Stout (8.0% ABV) is great alone or as an after-dinner accompaniment. It’s especially good with chocolate desserts.

posted by shlampe in Retired and have Comments (23)

23 Responses to “Raspberry Imperial Stout”

1. avatar Scott says:

This is another fantastic beer notes of dark chocolate and sweet ripe raspberries. would def like to see this one show up again in the vistor’s center sometime.

2. avatar Will says:

This beer originally appeared in your big beer selection and was a real favorite of mine. Unfortunately I never had the will power to save a few for aging.

3. avatar Dan says:

I found what must have been one of the last sixtles around and have it on tap. NICE beer!

4. avatar Frank says:

Bring it back, this beer was the bees knees!!!!!

That’s the problem. The bees are disappearing at an alarming rate. Turns out, they can’t live without their knees and want ‘em back. Seriously, we are talking about the possibility of bringing it back at sometime. It has not been decided and we do not have a plan yet, but if I went with my gut (it is always one step ahead) I would say it’s going to happen. When? Package?

[Edit]
      I must have been thinking about Blasphemy when I wrote this one. Sorry if I got any “one’s” hopes up. CW

5. avatar Joe says:

Nooooooo say it ain’t so ! This is one of my most favoritest beers,
    boo hoo hoo. Next you guys will do away with Old Heathen.

6. avatar Susan says:

My husband and I left PA for the midwest in 2002 with 3 cases of Raspberry Imperial Stout – our all time favorite beer – bar none. We managed to make the 3 cases last 2 years,but have been going through withdrawal for a looong time. I was so excited to find out a year or so ago that you would be selling your beers in the midwest. Just last week we were in Madison Wi and I saw your beer . I asked if they could get Raspberry Imperial Stout, and they hadn’t heard if it. Now I find out it’s retired. I’m heartbroken. I’ve told so many people about this beer, PLEASE bring it back!

Susan,

I sorry, but chances are that one will not come back. There are a number of devoted fans of this one, but not enough for us t make it. Change is a good thing! We something goes away it means that something new will follow. Not making RIS has allowed us to make Double Simcoe IPA and we have added another stout in Tiny which is a Belgian-Style Imperial Stout. We have also added Verboten which is a Belgian-Style Pale Ale. If we were still making RIS, we would not be able to make these new and tasty offerings.

“RIP RIS”

CW

7. avatar Tom says:

I only got to have six bottles of this one from the last brewing and shared some of them with friends. We all agree this one would be a nice “once-in-a-while” offering. Here’s hoping it does make it back into the lineup once in a while.

Tom, Raspberry Imperial Stout is dead! It was a long painful death, but it’s over now. We all have to find the strength to carry on. We can do it together! Crack open a Tiny and let RIS rest in peace. CW

8. avatar Roger C. Bubalis says:

Chris… PUHLEEEEEZ… Whimper, whimper, whine, cry. Your Raspberry Imperial Stout is irreplaceable!!!

9. avatar john slotterback says:

I am shocked to see this one go! Fortunately i still have a few bottles left in my basement. please consider making this one at least every two years.

10. avatar Stew says:

This should be brought back around the holidays.Really missing it in my beer fridge.

11. avatar Sam says:

One of my all time favorite beers please bring this one back.

12. avatar Cabot says:

Revive! Resurrect! There are more of us disappointed devotees out here. I’ll put a down payment on the first case. What else could we do to convince you to bring back Raspberry Imperial Stout?

Haha! Were you on my tour yesterday? I am asked almost weekly – STILL- for Raspberry Imperial Stout. The official answer is that it is retired… and isn’t coming back at any point. It is, however, possible that we could see a reincarnation as a brewers select or some kind of one-off one day. There are NO PROMISES! We’ll see. I promise to keep reminding the brewers about this every once in a while!

13. avatar Sid says:

Opening a bottle of this I packed away about 6-7 years ago. Hopefully it aged well!

Good luck, Sid! You just never know when ageing beer…. could be amazing or awful! (now I am curious… update!)

14. avatar em says:

so sad..just saw this..you broke my heart weyerbacher!!

Sorry, Em! However… how much did you like it if you haven’t purchased it since before we discontinued it nearly half a decade ago? Just poking you with a stick. You should try our new(er) brew called TINY… beautiful malty profile and where there is not Raspberry, there is a wonderful bottle-conditioned character… and it’s 11.5% abv! Cheers, Em!

15. avatar John says:

I just had 2 of these last night and they are as good as I remembered them. They were my favorite beer for a long time . I bought two cases the last time I could get them and now have one cases ( minus 2) left

• avatar John says:

Maybe I should have drank just one then I would have 1 cases (?) cases (?) I mean 1 CASE (minus 1 bottle) left, By the way I also had a fourteen too (which was excellent as well I might add) that could have made the extra s show up. I am so happy I put those away. Maybe in a couple of months I will drink my last Decadence. Cheers !