Merry Monks

WINNER: Bronze Medal 2010 World Beer Cup Category 47: Belgian-Style Tripel

WINNER: Best Belgian Beer, Philly Beer Scene Awards: 2010, 2012, 2013

Merry Monks’ is a Belgian-style Tripel.  Pilsner malt combined with an abbey yeast strain yields a remarkable and complex flavor packed with notes of spice, banana and pear.  Nicely balanced, with a moderate to dry finish, Merry Monks is bottle conditioned which imparts a special effervescence to the beer and a creamier carbonation.  9.3% ABV.

The on-going fermentation inside the bottle will change the character of the beer as it ages, and you’ll find it becomes dryer with age. You may want to lay down a few bottles for future evaluation. We suggest storing at cellar temperatures – around 55°F – and away from light.  (Read about cellaring beer here!)

This 9.3% brew is available year-round.  Keep your eye out for Merry Monks’ Ale in 25oz. cork-and-cage champagne bottles for an exceptional experience!

posted by shlampe in Year Round and have Comments (97)

97 Responses to “Merry Monks”

1. avatar Greg says:

I bought my first big bottle of Merry Monk’s at Woodman’s in Oak Creek, WI and shared it with my son. It was really a great beer. I look forward to trying some of your other beers.

2. avatar James says:

Love the Monks’ elixir. Makes me a little loopy! Great flavor. Looking forward to trying more Weyerbacher’s brew

3. avatar Than says:

Wow. I’m trying this for the first time – never seen your stuff around before – and its a great flavor! Kinda creeps up on you, it doesn’t taste like it should be quite as strong as it is. Good stuff.

4. avatar Chris Mohr says:

Merry Monks is the best beer I have ever had in my life. It’s not a beer for the faint of heart though. This perfectly crafted ale has with one hell of a kick! Light beer drinkers beware, this is a real beer lovers brew. Craft beer drinkers, buy two six packs when you see them becauce the shelf they may be out of stock on the shelf when you least expect it. Lucky for me, I work for Brown Distributing in Richmond Va, so I can flash my work badge, go into the back and grab some for the shelf and check out with my own. I have done this more than once ; ) Truely a remarkable beer!

5. avatar Svenj says:

This beer ages nicely too.

6. avatar Brendan says:

This is my favorite American Tripel for sure!

7. [...] beer in cases, Weyerbacher put out a big beer case consisting of a six-pack each of this beer, Merry Monks‘, Old Heathen, and one other that skips my memory (possibly the Quad because hey, why not?). [...]

8. avatar HurfDurf says:

Um…Is it sold out for anyone else? I need MORE! Send some to Georgia!

That beer is a year-round beer and should not be sold out anywhere. Talk to someone at the store and ask them to place an order!
      Thanks, CW

• avatar HurfDurf says:

I just talked to the people at TotalWine. They gave me some BS about their distributor Rep telling them that Merry Monks is moving to Seasonal.

I placed an order anyway. They say their distributor is “Savannah”

It must be the distributor for the entire area or something because I’ve been looking everywhere for the last 2 weeks with no luck.

I’m about to call this “Savannah” Distribution

http://gawine.com/ RAWR!

• avatar HurfDurf says:

Alright, they said it just came in on a truck on thursday. So it should be back in the stores soon!

not soon enough! Golden Monkey DOES. NOT. CUT. IT.

9. avatar shawnzeppi says:

I discoverd this brew at The Abbey in Norfolk, and was so happy to have finally found an American Beer that could compete with Chimay and other expensive imported Belgian beers. Marry Monks can take the Pepsi challenge with any of those more expensive imports. If you can find a better beer, buy it! GO WAYERBACHER !!!

10. avatar shawnzeppi says:

Oh, yeah, sorry for the misspelling, Mr. Weyerbacher, sir…

11. A Wonderful beer indeed, possibly my personal favorite! If you haven’t tried it, get to it!

12. avatar James Lloyd says:

I think this is my favorite beer in the wide world.

13. avatar Steven says:

I’m crazy about Merry Monks! It’s my favorite triple brewed in the US, only exceeded by La Fin Du Monde worldwide. I also love Verboten; in fact I’m having one right now. You guys must have a killer strain of yeast there in PA. I can’t wait to try more of your beers.

14. [...] beers: Try you grandmother’s pumpkin pie with Flying Fish’s Imperial Espresso Porter or Weyerbacher’s Merry Monks to go with apple [...]

15. avatar Wiggus says:

Please, what is the difference between MM in bottles and the Cage-n-Cork variety?

While both packages are bottle-conditioned, the 750ml cork-and-cage bottle is conditioned too a much higher carbonation. It gives it a more lively mouthfeel similar to Champagne. CW

• avatar Wiggus says:

Thanks, I got one last week. The flavor seemed stronger too on the middle of my tongue, more wine flavor. Or was that just my pallette that day? Delicious! A great one to share with friends.

16. avatar Sigge says:

Superb brew! Thanks for making it and for selling in in MN!

17. avatar SeanBailey says:

This was my first Weyerbacher beer. I went immediately to website. Fan for life.

18. avatar Willy Cramer says:

Merry Monks is hard to get in Atlanta, GA. Everywhere that carries around here always says there are problems with the Savannah distributor for some reason. Are there any other options for purchasing 6 packs of Merry Monks in GA? Or anyone know any stores I might be missing that have it on a more consistent basis?

19. avatar Laurie says:

I had one sip of MM at a friend’s house and said “this is my new favorite beer.” imagine my delight when I saw it was much less expensive than imports. I’m a fan of Fin Du Monde, Don de Dieu, Delirius Tremens, so if you like those you’ll like MM too. I’m in Atlanta and I just bought a 6-pack at Hop City. Last week I bought a cork-and-cage bottle at Ale Yeah.

Thanks, Laurie! We sell it in the 12 oz. package and also in a 750ml cork-n-cage bottle. If you hade it on draft or 12 oz, be sure to seek out the 750 and try it – it’s a bit different as it is completely bottle conditioned and a true delight!

20. [...] Will I have another?  Actually I think I’ll switch over to one of my favorite bottles of bad decisions before we head out.  I’ll have a Merry Monks’. [...]

21. avatar Scott says:

Simply the best abby tripel I’ve ever had ! Nough said

22. [...] we are going from Old Heathen to Merry Monks. I at least like the direction theologically! I always get a bit nervous when themes turn dark and [...]

23. avatar Michael says:

This has the authentic taste of a traditional Abby Beer, such as as Leffe, but much more powerful! I am an instant fan! This ranks on my top 5 list of beers! If you are a fan of Belgian Beer you need to try this! A++++++

24. avatar Kim says:

MM is my absolute favorite domestic triple. I travel aften……fell in love with triples in Brussels. Recently I was in Yokohama, Japan and found several craft beer bars from a beer in Japan app. The beers, although NOT triples, were great. I’ve since returned and wanted to bring my favorite triple to the bartender at the “Craft Beer Bar”. I brought Weyerbacher’s MM. I’m sure he will love it.

25. avatar Diego Sanchez says:

i’ve tried LOTS of tripels and this one is the smoothest. Am drinking a Cage-n-Cork right now and I’m blown away by the taste. Great job guys! This is one you need to send out to Newark, OH more often!

26. avatar Brian says:

Def an awesome beer! I would rank it as 1 of my top 3 tripels in the U.S. The other two being Golden Monkey from Victory and Tripel Horse by River Horse Brewing. I am in Maryland and find most of my brews at Liberty Liquors. The best craft beer store in MD!

I absolutely love Merry Monks’. It’s one of my favorite 5 beers of all time. Also love your Heresy, Blithering Idiot, QUAD, Imperial Pumpkin Ale. And I assume that I would like Old Heathen too. I’m not a fan of IPA’s or pale ales, but I liked Double Simcoe.
    I was lucky enough to get my hands on a several bottles of Sixteen, and let me tell you….that is also of the best best ales that I have ever had. Local Total Wine still has 7 bottles of Sixteen. I love you guys and truly appreciate everything you do and put your love into. Wish you health, happiness and more income. Waiting for Heresy and Insanity to come out.

P.S. Very nice new logo

28. avatar Michael says:

Bought my first 6 pack of Merry Monks today. I love it! If you are a fan of true Belgian Ales, you will love Merry Monks’.

29. avatar Dennis says:

Merry Monks does something strange to me: It makes my ears warm. Thank goodness I can pick up a case anytime at the brewery in Easton. Thanks again for this great beer!

30. avatar Joey G says:

I had my first Merry Monks at a dinner with my parents in Easton, PA. The place we went to had a fantastic dinner selection. To say the least, I did not even care about the dinner after tasting the monk. By far, my favorite beer. I’m hooked. Great job.

Just picked up a case of the cage-n-cork. It’s going to be a good St. Patty’s day!

Thanks again Weyerbacher, keep up the good work.

31. avatar Andy says:

Great stuff. its in my top 4 the others being Exit 4 by Flying Fish, Golden Monkey by Victory and Mad Elf by Troegs. Mad Elf is a Christmas beer so I suppose it doesn’t count but on to my question How many calories in a botle of MM? Thanks in advance.

Andy, Cheers! 273 calories. You should keep in mind that this is an estimate and not a measured value. As such, you should take this with a large grain of salt (calorie free).

32. [...] in my fridge to go with DiGiorno’s Pizza with garlic salt. Very creamy, acc. to the website: http://weyerbacher.com/blog/2010/02/merry-monks/ It’s a tast of banana and cookie dough in here, and they add suga r and yeast just prior to [...]

Andy!!! Exit 4 by Flying Fish is a very bad example. It doesn’t taste like a tripel. It’s nothing but an IPA. Doesn’t even come close to Monks and Monkey. Sorry.

34. avatar Danielle says:

One of the first and best triple on tap.

35. avatar Dario says:

I am the first Hispanic, Cuban comment on the beer .. has good quality.. Es bien fuerte , la primera vez que la pruebo , un poco amarga pero buen gusto , solo necesitas 6 para cojer una buena “nota” , Saludos

I think that you guys should add a dubbel to your Year Round line-up.

37. [...] I would give it a go. The Merry Monks is one of the year-round beers produced by Weyerbacher. Per their website, Merry Monks is described as a Belgian Style Tripel Ale, while the bottle that I purchased had a [...]

38. [...] choose from, and I’ve been forming a list among their selection.  At the top of my list was Weyerbacher Merry Monks.  I couldn’t help but take a peek into the fridges that contained single bottles.  They [...]

39. avatar James Bonitz says:

Just had Merry Monks for the first time, very good beer. I am full blood German and getting back to my roots. I just had spaetzel and hackbraten which is my favorite comfort food. This beer is very good for a local Belgian style beer and it was like adding another course to my feast. Great job and keep on brewing it.

40. avatar Mike Tomlin says:

I’ve been on a Westmalle kick lately but I wanted to try an American Belgian style Tripel so I hit a Total Wine down here in Raleigh, NC, and after checking out the selection I decided on a sixer of Merry Monks for 13.99. I must say that I’m very satisfied with my choice, MM is a quality beer that I will gladly buy again, and again. Cheers on a well crafted beer!

41. Please keep making this year round. Love its divine flavor!

42. [...] first thing standing out about Weyerbacher Merry Monks is the unrelenting effervescence. A myriad of micro bubbles race through the sparkling clear Tripel [...]

43. avatar Jon Yabrough says:

In celebration of a new POPE I bought a six today… Glad I did!

44. avatar Jay says:

My buddy just brought me a growler of this from the brewery.

Thanks Weyerbacher.

Awesome feedback but forgive me for the correction: Isn’t it your buddy we should collectively thank? :^)

45. avatar Dave says:

Reminds me if a Saison

46. avatar Jeff says:

This is a nice effort…. I live in Belgium. The beer definitely has the right characteristics of a tripel….. but the alcohol should be more hidden, and the beer just a little more flavorful…. My favs are St. Bernardus, and Corsendonk…. Thanks though, I’d rather have a fresh one of these when I am in the USA than a stale import.

47. avatar NateP says:

Fantastic. Had it on tap and was thoroughly impressed. Delicious! Great job!

48. avatar al from reading says:

are the 12 ounce bottles bottle conditioned? i love this ale!

Yes! The 750s are unfiltered and more robustly conditioned (hence, the cork and cage and thicker bottle).