Merry Monks

WINNER: Bronze Medal 2010 World Beer Cup Category 47: Belgian-Style Tripel

WINNER: Best Belgian Beer, Philly Beer Scene Awards: 2010, 2012, 2013

Merry Monks’ is a Belgian-style Tripel.  Pilsner malt combined with an abbey yeast strain yields a remarkable and complex flavor packed with notes of spice, banana and pear.  Nicely balanced, with a moderate to dry finish, Merry Monks is bottle conditioned which imparts a special effervescence to the beer and a creamier carbonation.  9.3% ABV.

The on-going fermentation inside the bottle will change the character of the beer as it ages, and you’ll find it becomes dryer with age. You may want to lay down a few bottles for future evaluation. We suggest storing at cellar temperatures – around 55°F – and away from light.  (Read about cellaring beer here!)

This 9.3% brew is available year-round.  Keep your eye out for Merry Monks’ Ale in 25oz. cork-and-cage champagne bottles for an exceptional experience!

posted by shlampe in Year Round and have Comments (97)

97 Responses to “Merry Monks”

1. avatar al from reading says:

thanx bill. are any of your beers not bottle conditioned? i like your old heathen and blithering idiot too. and of course heresy is awesome! still haven’t tried insanity but can’t wait to.

• avatar Natalie says:

Hi Al,
      We do filter numerous brews: Double Simcoe 12oz, Old Heathen, Blithering Idiot, Last Chance IPA, Insanity, Heresy, Imperial Pumpkin, Autumnfest, Winter Ale, and Quad. Depending on the style of beer we may or may not filter our Anniversary and Brewer’s Select Brews. Enjoy the Insanity, it is my favorite!

Natalie, aren’t Blithering Idiot (also Insanity), Imperial Pumpkin and QUAD only partially/mostly filtered.?

Merry Monks is one of the best TRIPELS out there. Excellent ale.

3. avatar Etu Malku says:

I wish there had been a detail of this Ale somewhere on either the bottle or the six pack . . . I hate fruit, or spiced beer/ale

Yuk . . .

Hey Etu! Sorry but Merry Monks contain no fruit and no spices. It has ‘notes’ of banana and clove but these are a product of the yeast and the fermentation process. Nuthin in this beer but barley, yeast, sugar and water…. oh, and hops!

4. avatar David Troast says:

Merry Monks is excellent. It competes with the Belgium Beer in my travels. Awesome

5. avatar Tim says:

Thanks to Chris W for hints on brewing this. I just bottled and it smelled and tasted very similar to Merry Monks. I did add a small percentage of Lyle’s Golden Syrup just for fun. Mash low, ferment high worked well. I also racked a portion onto some bourbon soaked oak cubes. Hoping for some Prophesy. Cheers!

• avatar Joe says:

Tim, how did the portion aged on the oak turn out? I just brewed a batch and was going to take 1/3 and do the same. I’ll probably use chips though, so it takes the flavor quicker.

• avatar Tim says:

Sorry Joe, just saw this now. Did not get much extra flavor. This was my first oaking attempt and I did not pour all of the bourbon in with the oak cubes. So my recommendation is to always pour all of the liquor in and control the flavor by amount of cubes and liquor used. I can say that oaked Makers Mark is delicious, though!

6. […] me and Golden style beers. Two of my three favorite beers are Golden styles (Delirium Tremens and Weyerbacher’s Merry Monks). So this hit home. 7.5% ABV and 28 IBU. A good rendition of a golden and exactly what you expect […]

7. avatar RAY Davids says:

I have tried a “several” dozen or two beers from “Barking Squirle” to Big Eddy and i finally found “Home” ( Weyerbacher “Merry Monks”) and,…Thanks for the warmth of home and The Great “Outdoors”…….No-Doubt…Ray

8. avatar Scott weasner says:

Takin a 7 50 ml cork and cage bottle of this lovely stuff to ocmd for my honeymoon. It’s so smooth and dangerously is easy to drink one of my personal Weyerbacher favorites.

9. avatar StephenT says:

Bought 2 Gallons growlers of this on draught from Hopewell Oasis Beverage in NY. Fantastic brew. Reminds me of something I had up at Ebeneezers the #1 Belgian Pub in the US up in Maine. Keep up the good work. I need to refill some more before the keg goes empty.

10. avatar Wulf Schaferhunde says:

Do any of your beers (specifically this one, but others as well) contain any cinnamon or nutmeg? I’m allergic and want to try some of these beers, but whenever I see “spice” on a label, I get scared off because that almost always equates to I’ve or more things I’m allergic to.

Such as when I see “Apple” or “pumpkin” which usually just means “a crap-load of cinnamon and/or nutmeg and none of the actual Apple or pumpkin that the name implies”

Hey, Wulf! Only our Imperial Pumpkin Ale contains those two specific spices to which you are allergic. All others are spices like star anise, cardamom, gains of paradise, clove.

11. avatar Jeff says:

As a Pittsburgher who just attended Beer on the Bay in Erie I must say the Merry Monk was the finest beer at the event. First time having it and now searching to find it to buy.

12. avatar Mike V says:

Hi all! South of Pittsburgh here. Just tried the Merry Monks Belgian-StyleTripel Ale. Its Awesome! I’m usually a Black and Tan or Stout drinker. But this is really great! Good job Guy’s! The spice banana and pear notes really sent my taste buds crazy.

13. […] Weyerbacher Merry Monks // One of my all-time favorites year round, the spicy notes in this tripel style ale make it […]