Blanche

Our brewers developed Weyerbacher Blanche just after their trip to Belgium during the winter of 2000.  Blanche, meaning “white”, gets its name from the light colored haze suspended in this pale-gold brew.  The haze results from the high proportion of wheat used and from the yeast that remains in this unfiltered brew.  White beers are well known as the principal product from Hoegaarden, a small town in a wheat-growing region east of Brussels.

Light, cloudy and smooth, Weyerbacher Blanche brings you authentic Belgian-style flavor along with handcrafted quality and freshness.  Just try a bottle of this thirst-quenching brew.  In the nose you’ll notice a light spiciness from the coriander and dried Curacao orange peels.  Overall, you’ll find a mild and refreshing 4.6% ale with a clean finish that follows with just a hint of tart spiciness.  It is available April through July.

The name “Blanche” was retired in 2012 and the exact same bee is now available as “White Sun Wit“.

posted by shlampe in Retired and have Comments (19)

19 Responses to “Blanche”

1. avatar Scott says:

just finished a case of this off and another tasty example of a good wit.

2. avatar Tony says:

Simply Amazing! Had it for the first time last night and bought a case this morning, just as good. Perfect blend of citrus. Swirl, pour, and heaven in a bottle! Thanks, Weyerbacher! I have been searching for this beer for a long time!

3. avatar Nick says:

I’m really excited this is out again. In fact I am coming to the visitor’s center this Saturday to pick up 2 or 3 cases. I hope you all brewed more than last year. Blanche is literally my first choice from now until, like, October. If I can find any!

4. [...] went out to the Knickerbocker for my birthday last night. I had a veggie burger with a salad, a Weyerbacher Blanche, a pitiful mint julep, and a slice of vegan chocolate cake. I was bursting at the seams after the [...]

5. avatar David says:

The Blanche is not bad, I’m just used to enjoying the heavier barley-wine style and imperial stout beers. Definately smooth !

6. avatar Shawn says:

We just had an Earthquake in Philly…I ran down 38 floors. Got on the train- sped to the beer store and picked up a sixer of Blanche. Good day all in all.

38 floors deserves more than a Blanche…. if I had a Fourteen (wheat wine anniversary from 2 years ago) I’d share it with you!

This is one that Georgia doesn’t get, but I’ve found a source farther North who can ship it, I’m anxious to try it. Everything else you guys make it delicious so this one has to shine too.

Fireside Ale didn’t sell well when we had it in the GA market a few years ago and there fore we decided to not send it into the market. Fireside has already been discontinued and won’t be brewed again. As far as Blanche is concerned there is a little bit of it sent to the market this year but it may only be found in Total Wine stores as they pre-ordered it. Some of our lighter alcohol beers have trouble getting traction in markets farther away from the brewery that is why we concentrate on our bigger beers as they differentiate us from other beers in the market. Thanks for your interest in our brands! (Bob Fauteux, National Sales Manager)

We get all Weyerbacher beers in SC, except Fireside and Blanche. Any idea why?

From Bob F, National Sales Manager: “Fireside Ale didn’t sell well when we had it in the market a few years ago and therefore we decided to not send it into the market there again. Fireside has already been discontinued and won’t be brewed again. As far as Blanche is concerned there is a little bit of it sent to the market this year but it may only be found in Total wine stores as they pre-ordered it. Some of our lighter alcohol beers have trouble getting traction in markets farther away from the brewery that is why we concentrate on our bigger beers as they differentiate us from other beers in the market. Thanks for your interest in our brands.”

9. avatar Bill Bragg says:

A nice review from Private Tap for Blanche! See it here:

10. avatar Danielle says:

A great belgin light beer great on a hot summer night.

11. avatar Greg says:

I will do anything for another batch of this! bring it back please!!!!

I love being able to give GOOD news. YES, it is coming back (some is already brewed)… however we ditched the name [AND THE NAME ONLY]. Blanche is now White Sun Wit. It is not a different beer in any way… just the retirement of the lame label and the mispronunciations!

12. avatar Manuela says:

The „White Sun Wit“ is quite special. Not the kind of beer I usually drink. But I have to admit that I like the taste coriander (I never thought I would like coriander in my beer…). But it depends on my current state of being. Sometimes the whole spices are a bit too much, a bit too exaggerated. Sometimes it’s just fitting my taste. I don’t know why, maybe it depends on how much I drank before ;) just kidding. Anyway, I liked the old name a lot more. Why did you change it?

Hey Manuela! The name White Sun Wit seemed more approachable and less easy to mis-pronounce. A pet peeve is hearing the name of your beer mispronounced as a Golden Girl character! The beer you drank before DEFINITELY affects the beer you have afterward! Cheers!