2 Tb Olive oil
4 ea Ancho chili pods, stems and seeds removed
2-2.5 lbs. Boneless beef short ribs
½ Tb Kosher salt
6 ea Cloves of Garlic, crushed
1 ea Large Onion, sliced
½ tsp Kosher salt
6 oz Tomato paste
½ tsp Ground cumin
½ tsp Dried oregano
12 oz Fireside Ale
12 oz Water
1 ea Small red onion, thinly sliced
1 ea Lime, juiced
½ tsp Kosher salt
½ tsp Habanero, minced
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Put a heavy dutch oven over medium heat. Add the oil and cook the ancho chilies until softer and very fragrant.
- While the chilies are cooking season the short ribs on all sides with the salt.
- Once all the chilies are removed sear the meat on all sides until a deep brown.
- Remove the seared short ribs from the pan and add the crushed garlic, cook until browned slightly.
- Add the onions and salt and cook until onions start to soften and are golden brown.
- Add the tomato paste and continue to cook, for at least a minute or two or until the tomato paste starts to caramelize.
- Add the cumin, oregano, beer, and water making sure you scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen the brown bits.
- Once combined add the short ribs and chilies back to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover and put in the 300 degree oven for about 3 hours, checking every hour or so.
- Mix the onion, lime, salt, and habanero about 2 hours into the cooking, refrigerate until service.
- Once the meat is very tender, remove the meat and puree the sauce until smooth. Check seasoning and it’s ready to serve.
1 Tb Olive Oil
2 Tb Onion, minced
½ tsp salt
1 ea Garlic clove, minced
1 qt Water
1 cup cornmeal
¼ cup sour cream
4 oz cotija cheese, grated
- Sweat the onion and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat with the salt until soft.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling slowly add the cornmeal in a constant stream while whisking vigorously.
- Once mixture is smooth and starting to thicken allow to cook for a minute or so, then add the sour cream and cheese. Leave on low heat until cheese is melted and mixture is very thick.
- Serve immediately.